The Colonial Parkway Murders: Part Four
Click HERE to listen to The Colonial Parkway Murders: Part Four
This week Nic from the @TrueCrimeGarage podcast joins Bill and me for a roundtable discussion about the Colonial Parkway Murders. Nic is extremely knowledgable about the case and he has great insight into the possible scenarios.
Guest: Nic @TrueCrimeGarage, www.truecrimegarage.com
Guest: Bill Thomas, brother of victim Cathy Thomas https://www.facebook.com/ColonialParkwayCase/
- Construction stretched over twenty-six years through the Depression, World War II, and funding shortages.
- The Parkway allows for a stress-free drive from Yorktown to Jamestown that avoids the regular traffic
- The parkway is made of stone pavement to give the feel of old-timey highways
- The parkway connects Virginia’s historic triangle: Jamestown, Williamsburg, and Yorktown.
- The parkway runs along the York River and millions of cars travel this route each year.
- The parkway was built to resemble highways of the past so the two-lane river-gravel road doesn’t have any line-markings.
- The parkway is only two lanes with a center lane for passing and the maximum speed limit is a mere 45 miles per hour
- Although the park closes at sunset the parkway stays open to traffic
- Construction began in the spring of 1931 in Williamsburg.
- The parkway construction was hit with delays from the start.
- There were design and routing conflicts. Limited funding due to the Great Depression and World War II stretched construction over a 26-year period.
- The parkway was not completed until 1955 but is considered an architectural success as the design was meant to fit seamlessly into the natural and historical beauty of Virginia.
- Roadtrippers.com, says the Parkway is America’s Most Calming Scenic Drive, with it’s “mostly lined with trees that block any views of modern society
If you’d like help keep the lights on and the recorders running you can support the show by clicking the donate button on the right side on whokilledamymihaljevic.com or via the Venmo app with my username @billhuffman3. Any amount is appreciated and it helps keep the RECORDERS RUNNING.
Follow me on Twitter @billhuffman3
Holly Tips: Thomas.email@example.com
Colonial Parkway Murder Tips: firstname.lastname@example.org
Anyone with information can e-mail it to email@example.com.
The Daily Press